Thursday, April 9, 2015

Steelers great Troy Polamalu retires

PITTSBURGH - Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is retiring from the NFL after a twelve year career, he told Scout.com after telling team owner Dan Rooney on Thursday night.

A stalwart figure in the Steelers' recent two Super Bowl campaigns and one of the league's hardest hitters in the last decade, Polamalu was named to the Pro Bowl eight times since being drafted from USC in 2003.

"It's all about family," the 33-year-old told Jim Wexell of Scout. "I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."

Polamalu, a Greek Orthodox, says he came to the decision while in church during Holy Week.

"Thirty-three is obviously significant because of Christ being 33; and 12 years, 12 apostles," he told Scout.com. "I'm not superstitious by any means but I always thought that if I played 12 years and retire from football at 33 and give my life and give my body and give my blood to his game, I think that would be a pretty significant landmark in my life."

An anywhere-on-the-field defensive talent, Polamalu leaves the game with 770 career tackles and 32 interceptions, all with the Steelers, telling Wexell he "did not seriously consider playing anywhere else."

The team had reportedly asked Polamalu to retire after last season's end, and according to the Post-Gazette were prepared to release him had he not.

A champion of Super Bowls XL and XLIII, injuries and durability would become a concern in recent years, and the five-time All Pro would only see the field in 16 games twice in his final nine seasons.

"It's time to start living," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment