Friday, August 16, 2019

Tight end to retire after serious neck injury

A college football player has decided to walk away from the game forever after suffering a serious injury. 

South Carolina tight end Kiel Pollard announced on Friday that he will retire from football after suffering a broken neck that would have kept him off the field for more than a month.

"Ever since I was 3 years old, my life has involved football," Pollard said on Instagram.

"Last week I did something that every football player knows not to do, I ducked my head while blocking. As I waited on the exam table I thought everything was straight. To my surprise, after the MRI was completed and what felt like the longest 2 hours of my life, I was informed that I would be out for 4-6 weeks with a broken neck.

"I was perfectly fine with that. I felt no pain and my body was tired so I felt that rest was in order. This week that changed when I found out that last Tuesday would be my last time playing football. Not that I'm not able, but that it's not safe for me to do so. I have loved football and always will! It was my desire to rock Willy B Stadium this year and then play in the NFL but I am aware that God has greater plans for my life!

"I KNOW THAT I AM MORE THAN FOOTBALL!!! Please don't feel sorry for me because football has been good to me. Football has provided me with a great education in which I will be graduating in December this year! I am smart enough to know God doesn't give anyone a gift that he doesn't plan on using! So with that being said one chapter ends and another begins! 87 out"

Pollard played in 38 games for the Gamecocks over three seasons, catching 17 passes for 203 yards and two touchdowns, and was set to occupy the team's primary receiving tight end position.

No comments:

Post a Comment