Sunday, July 21, 2019

Vols QB says Jim Chaney gives him more freedom

Entering his fourth season at Tennessee and his second as the Vols starting quarterback, Jarrett Guarantano has had to learn a new offense with every passing year.

Now, after the addition of Jim Chaney as offensive coordinator, Guarantano says the team is turning the page on a new era, one in which he will have a lot more influence.

Coach Chaney gives me a lot of freedom right now, he told 104.5 FM (Nashville).

He really does. He allows me to call different plays. He allows me to change protections, and I handle the run game. Having Coach Chaney around, hes definitely been a blessing for me, and Im very excited for the role that Im taking on with the offense. Its been really good.

Tennessee has been looking to forge some consistency on the offensive side of the ball, hiring Mike DeBord in 2016, Larry Scott in 2017, and Tyson Helton in 2018, before bringing in Chaney, who served as the Vols’ interim head coach in 2012, from Georgia this year.

Last season, Guarantano went 153 of 246 passing for 1,907 yards, throwing 12 touchdowns against seven interceptions, and ranking 11th overall in the SEC.

But Tennessee finished dead last in the conference in total offense and were the only team in the league that failed to surpass 4,000 total yards. Their 22.8 points scored per game were second to last, ahead of Arkansas (21.7).

Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt referred to Guarantano as “our quarterback” during the SEC Media Days and praised how well the 21 year old has handled the mental load of the position.

The thing that excited me about Jarrett is, you can stand out on the field, you can see his arm talent, you know, me being in the meeting rooms, I know that football really comes easy to him, Pruitt said.

He picks up fast. He can handle a whole lot. What I see that excites me the most is the impact that hes having on his teammates. I think thats a true mark of a leader, having a positive impact on the people youre around. I see him developing and doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment