Saturday, July 20, 2019

Tua Tagovailoa loses 15 pounds after Nick Saban’s challenge

Tua Tagovailoa heard the advice of Nick Saban to get in better shape for the coming season, and the Alabama quarterback responded in a big way.

During his appearance at the SEC Media Days this week, Tagovailoa said he lost around 15 pounds and noted that he feels a lot healthier as a result.

Im at a goal that I think I reached better than what I could think of for myself and what coach set for me, Tagovailoa said. Coach wants me at 218, and Im about 215-214.

Months after the end of the season, Saban publicly challenged his quarterback to get in better shape after Tagovailoa dealt with knee and ankle issues late in the 2018 season in games against Georgia and Clemson.

“I think being hurt was an issue for him at the end of the season and I think that he has to challenge himself to get back into great shape and overcome some of the things that happened toward the end of the year,” Saban said at the SEC Spring Meetings.

“I think he should take the perception that he has a lot to prove relative to how we ended the season. I think our whole team fits into that category.

Tagovailoa said he gained some weight late last season after suffering an ankle sprain in the SEC Championship Game that required surgery and three weeks in a walking boot.

The quarterback was ultimately cleared to play in the College Football Playoff games against Oklahoma and then Clemson. He went 24 of 27 for 318 yards and four touchdowns in a win over the Sooners, but the Clemson defense largely contained him in a 44-16 rout.

Tagovailoa enters the 2019 season as the odds-on favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, boasting 5/2 odds, ranked ahead of Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence (3/1).

No comments:

Post a Comment