Friday, December 19, 2014

Bears: Clausen thrilled, Cutler stunned

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Out of the playoffs for the fourth straight and seventh out of eight seasons, Jimmy Clausen has been given the nod to start for the Chicago Bears when they host the Detroit Lions on Sunday.

Which came as a surprise to the 27-year-old former Notre Dame starter.

"I didn't see it coming at all," Clausen told CSN Chicago. "It was quite a surprise to me that they wanted to go with me this week. But it's a great opportunity for me and the team to go out there on Sunday and put our best effort out there and hopefully get a 'W'."

Clausen wasn't the only man at Halas Hall who was surprised.

"I didn't see it coming," former starter Jay Cutler said. "But any time you lose a lot of games and don't do as well as you hoped, there's a chance that could happen."

Chicago has posted a 5-9 record through fourteen outings, including three straight defeats, to Detroit, a Thursday nighter to Dallas, and Monday night's debacle against the Saints.

In those latter two contests, the Bears attempted comeback bids, but both would fall short.

Jay Cutler would be benched by head coach Marc Trestman after posting the most interceptions (18) in the league, adding 6 lost fumbles for the most overall turnovers (24), and has been sacked 36 times.

They average a turnover every 33 offensive snaps, by far the worst mark in football.

"I think we need a lift at quarterback. We need a spark," Trestman said, adding that he personally told both quarterbacks of his decision on Wednesday as well as general manager Phil Emery.

Trestman noted that his decision for only for the forthcoming week and would be active as Clausen's backup on Sunday.

Hopefully, Clausen enjoys a good challenge. Detroit currently leads the NFC North, has allowed the third-fewest touchdowns (1.9) and yards per game (300.3) this season, and the 17 points against them every Sunday are the fewest permitted by any club. Their three-game win streak began with a 34-17 decision over the Bears on Thanksgiving, a game the Bears led 14-0 early.

"I was excited obviously to get this opportunity to play against the No 1. defense in the NFL right now," Clausen said. "As soon as I heard, I just started preparing and watching tape, just like I've done the whole entire season."

Cutler has been helping his backup with the preparations going into Sunday's game.

"We've had a great relationship since Day 1 when I came in," Clausen said. "Jay's been great with me, helping me, and that's what he's doing right now, too."

Clausen last started a pro football game in 2010 for the Carolina Panthers, going 1-9 in ten starts before the team drafted Cam Newton.

"It's just a great opportunity for me. A lot of people don't get second chances to showcase their talent in the National Football League."

The change has many questioning Cutler's future with the team, especially with the money he gets and the results reaped. 

The cash value of his current deal, $22.5 million, is worth more than that of Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Mark Sanchez, and Russell Wilson combined.

"All I know is there is a lot of money involved in my contract, which comes with a lot of expectations, and a lot of responsibility," Cutler said. "Whenever you're not winning and performing the way you should there's a likelihood of that happening [getting benched]."

Cutler, a Bears fan since his youth in Indiana, was asked about his future with the club.

"I would like to stay here," he said. "I really like it here. I love the guys in the locker room I get to play with. Clearly, it's a different set of circumstances now. Looking forward, this is the place I want to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment