Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Redskins: Cousins denies he demanded a trade

ASHBURN, Va. - Washington Redskins backup quarterback Kirk Cousins on Tuesday sought to clarify comments he made on Monday about wanting to be traded from the team should Robert Griffin be named the starter next season.

"Isn't it obvious I couldn't stay here?" he told Dianna Marie Russini of NBC Washington on Monday following the end of the regular season.

But the next day, Cousins said he is not demanding a trade from the team in a conference call set up by the Redskins public relations staff.

"I don't demand anything," he said. "I'm under contract. I'm going to honor that contract if that's what it comes to. I'm focused on getting better. We all know that I have a long ways to go. I have a lot of work to do. I had two awful quarters this year and threw nine interceptions, which is way too many. I have plenty to work on to get better. That's the message that I want out. I'm excited to get back to work. Because I do think that with another offseason in the system, with more time to develop and talk about the system and improve and get practice reps, that I can really take another step forward."

The third-year quarterback from Michigan State has 18 touchdowns and 19 interceptions this season in five starts for the Redskins before being replaced by Colt McCoy in Week 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment