Friday, December 26, 2014

Geno Smith: I want to be a solution

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Jets quarterback Geno Smith, who may be safely identified as one of the team's many problems over their three-win campaign, says he wants to be part of the solution.

"I see myself as being the quarterback here for a long time," Smith said through the New York Post. "I see myself helping this team turn things around. Obviously, I'm a part of the reason why we are in this position, so I'd love to be a part of the solution."

Smith has recorded 10 touchdowns against 13 interceptions in thirteen starts for the Jets this year, and against division rival Miami, who they visit to close their season, he has no touchdowns and two interceptions.

That said, the second year man from West Virginia believes the Jets can soon be a contender.

"I know that it takes hard work and not everyone is going to see the same things, but within this locker room, within this group of guys, we all see the potential we have as a team," Smith said.

He would be replaced after suffering a rout at the hands of Buffalo in Week 8, a contest in which he threw interceptions on three straight possessions and in which the team suffered 6 turnovers to end what became their seventh straight defeat against one victory.

And after which he was seen cursing at booing fans in the stadium, casting him in a still dimmer light, and attracting a fine from the league office downtown.

Still, he insists the view many have of him is not what he sees.

"The perception of me is definitely not accurate," Smith said to the Post. "I don't know what the reason is, but a lot of things get misunderstood and then once it's out there, it's out there and you can't get it back. I'm not going to fight those battles."

Misunderstanding, as Smith sees it, came this week after he was reported as saying "change could be good for all of us," with the implication being a change at the head coaching position. Though the quarterback said that comment was taken out of context.

"I love the guy, I love playing for the guy. He's my coach," Smith said of Rex Ryan, adding his comment was related to a coaching change he experienced at college. 

Michael Vick replaced Smith in the first Buffalo game, and promptly threw an interception. Though he would, two weeks later, help the Jets to an upset victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers before being replaced himself by Smith in the tail-end of a 38-3 defeat in a rematch with the Bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment