Monday, March 2, 2015

Browns QB Josh McCown feels Cleveland's pain

BEREA, Ohio - Running true to their awkward tradition since returning to the league in 1999, the Cleveland Browns on Friday signed another quarterback to their fledgling eleven.

Josh McCown, the latest name to be added to a long and beleaguered lineage, on Sunday told the Northeast Ohio Media Group that he knows how people may be confused by his signing.

"I get it," he said. "I understand people's perceptions of me. I don't back off it or shy away from [his 1-10 record last season with Tampa]. I understand people's frustration. But my mindset is to come in here, grow, and improve as a football player, and help this team win football games."

Winning football games looked to be a surprisingly pleasant fate last season for the Browns, who, behind hometown signal caller Brian Hoyer, jumped out to a 6-3 record and the first-place spot in the AFC North before a 1-6 collapse down the stretch, being outscored 167-88.

The addition of McCown, and a three-year, $14 million contract ($6.25m guaranteed), likely spells the departure of Hoyer, who on March 10 will become a free agent.

"I met Brian a few years ago at a workout for the Giants and I was impressed with him and I've rooted for him from afar especially with what he went through a couple of years ago with the knee and to come back this year," McCown said. "I love stories like that. It's awesome. I'm a fan of Brian and I like his work ethic. It's been a great story of him playing right there in his hometown."

McCown also spoke to the example he hopes to bring to backup Johnny Manziel, still currently in rehab.

"Johnny is a person," he said, "and every person that I come across has value to me and they matter, and so I want to help him as much as I can with all parts of it, but to grow as a person and as a player and to help him go on and have a fruitful career.

"Just life in general is too short to go through it alone or just looking out for yourself all the time," he said. "So if you can give up yourself to others to help someone else in their journey, I just think you'll find so much more peace in life. So that's my approach when I head into a quarterback room. It's just what can I give back to the guys around me to help us be better? Because ultimately it's going to help our team."

The 35-year-old Texas native had visited with the Jets, Bears, and Bills, and was negotiating with Buffalo and Cleveland before signing with the latter. 

"I just want to serve our team and help everybody in that locker room, do my best to help everybody in the locker room be better at their job, and they're going to help me, too," he said. "I'm just excited about coming in and being a part of a team."

McCown was responsible for 18 turnovers last season with the Buccaneers, tossing 14 interceptions, though in 2013 with the Bears, added 13 touchdowns and only one pick. 

In a 12-year career, he has 61 touchdowns and 59 interceptions and a 17-32 record.

No comments:

Post a Comment