Thursday, August 20, 2015

Eagles' Sam Bradford: "I'm going to play"

There are few things as upsetting and aggravating as going through some trial, overcoming it, then immediately falling victim to its devices yet again. Just ask Sam Bradford.

The Eagles' quarterback is seeking to resurrect his NFL career in Philadelphia after tearing the ACL in his left knee for the second time in as many seasons, the last time nearly one year ago. Then the Rams signal caller, Bradford went down for the count in Cleveland, never to see the gridiron until jogging onto the practice field in south Philadelphia this spring.

"As hard as it is to come back from the first one, physically, I think the second time around, it's harder mentally," Bradford said on Thursday. "Just having to continue the rehab process. I rehabbed back to being good-to-go and then started over again. It was really hard mentally. There were a lot of days where it was a grind."

A grind, he hopes, he can begin to put behind him for good on Saturday when the Eagles host the Ravens in their second preseason game. He sat their first matchup against the Colts last Sunday for precaution but believes he'll be behind center this weekend. Even though head coach Chip Kelly has been mum up until now about it.

"I'm going to play," Bradford said. "With coach, you never know. I'm hoping he hasn't changed his mind."

And if he has?

"I would be [very] disappointed if I wasn't on the field on Saturday," Bradford said. "There are a lot of emotions. I think I'm excited to get back on the field, first of all. It's been a long time. Last year, I felt like I worked really hard to get back to being in football shape and ready go. And then I obviously got hurt again."

Bradford quarterbacked the Eagles' important first-team reps in their joint practices and got to face his first genuine pass rush in a year. But that was with the luxury of the red jersey, the one that screams, "Don't touch me." 

Which is apt to make pass rushers angry, and all the more eager to do the deed for real on the field with vigor. Something, in a way, Bradford is looking forward to.

"It's always good to get that first hit out of the way," he said. "You never like to get hit, but sometimes I think it gets you in the flow of the game. Hopefully, it doesn't happen. Hopefully, it's not a big shot. But I wouldn't hate going to the ground once and getting up and knowing I'm going to be OK."

The Eagles have been right to be tentative with their fragile quarterback, but the time has come to take those risks they've been planning for since they acquired him in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment