Friday, August 21, 2015

Redskins' Matt Jones credits defense for success

Redskins rookie running back Matt Jones carried for 38 yards in Cleveland last week and for 44 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night as Washington downed Detroit 21-17 in their second preseason game.

Head coach Jay Gruden said Jones had to show more consistent strength in addition to his raw physicality and collision-laded rushing style. That training, Jones says, comes at the hands of his teammates on the defensive side of the ball.

"Like I said, I'm gonna keep working my craft," Jones said. "I practice on it every day going against our defense. They make me better."

Despite his impressive start, the rookie rusher from Florida knows he has a long way to go to give his coaches enough confidence to keep a space on their roster open for him.

"My goal is to get better every play," he said. "Every time I'm out there, it's to give the team what I've got, to show them what I can do. And definitely just stay humble with it. Just make plays."

Jones carried for his first pro touchdown on Thursday, a 1 yard gash on the tail-end of an 80 yard scoring drive under reserve quarterback Colt McCoy.

"Oh, now that was a great feeling getting my first NFL touchdown," he said. "That was great."

No comments:

Post a Comment