Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Evan Mathis chose Broncos for "peace of mind"

Following his decision to sign with the Denver Broncos, guard Evan Mathis pointed to their chances of getting to and winning the Super Bowl as the driving force behind his decision.

"The No. 1 priority in finding a new place to play was playing for a contender," Mathis told 9News (Denver). "The Broncos weren't in the mix early on. They were kind of the darkhorse in the race. They emerged here late and I just couldn't turn down that opportunity."

What he did turn down was an offer that would have paid him more money. NFL Media reported the Broncos offered Mathis a deal that could be worth up to $4 million with playing incentives added in. The 33-year-old confirmed another report that said he was offered $5.5 million by another team that he declined so he could have a chance at the postseason.

"I also turned down an offer equal to what I would have made in Philly," Mathis said. "It was a decision to be on a team I thought had the best chance to make a run. And it's not all about the money. You can't put a price on peace of mind."

Usually, when a player says it's not about the money, it's about the money. Not, apparently, in this case. Much of it, he says, is about the opportunity to serve as a mentor to younger linemen, and in turn, improve himself.

"I think I've learned a lot, I think I have a lot to share with these guys as well as the technical aspects of the game," he said. "And then ultimately leading by doing the right thing. Taking care of my body. Playing as hard as I can play. Making the decisions in life that ultimately make me a better ballplayer."

Better is what the Broncos hope he'll make their front line as soon as possible, inserting him as the starting left guard on a unit that fielded three players in their last preseason game that had yet to play a down in the NFL.

The health of Peyton Manning and the condition of those in front of him were two of the more pressing questions the Broncos were facing this summer, and with the addition of Evan Mathis, they have at least one of them potentially answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment