Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mark Ingram wants to add to Saints' passing game

Mark Ingram took pride in being listed on his high school roster as an "athlete" rather than merely a tailback, and would like to expand his role to include that tag once again.

He sought to prove it with his performance in Saturday's preseason game against the Patriots.

The Saints' first play from scrimmage was a check-down to Ingram for an 11 yard gain, and the second a 29 yard pass play out of the backfield and down the sideline.

That's something he'd like to do more of this season.

"I know I'm a three-down back," Ingram said. "I could do first down, second down, third down, run the ball, catch the ball, pass protect. I take pride in being an every down back, being a back that doesn't have to come off the field, being a back that can do everything that's asked of him within the scheme of the offense."

Ingram did precisely that last season as the Saints' backfield took some lumps on the injury front. But he's not asking for more playing time, per se, just to do more while he's in there.

"I think this year is the first opportunity that I've actually had the chance to be able to go do those things," he said of his potential versatility, via ESPN. "I'm working on it, continuing to get better at it."

His progress in the passing game to this point, Ingram feels, has earned him some trust with quarterback Drew Brees.

"I don't think he was like, 'Oh there's Mark, I'm going somewhere else.' But I think he's more confident in me in that area," he said. "I've been working with him all OTAs and for five years now. And he's seen the improvement that I've made in just running my routes, things like that. So when he sees me out there in a passing situation, I think he's more aware that I'm there now."

No comments:

Post a Comment