Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Steelers' Michael Vick: My role is clear

Somebody up there was winking when the Steelers decided to sign quarterback Michael Vick on National Dog Day.

Six years since being released from federal prison for his role in a dog-fighting ring that put a corkscrew in his once-promising NFL career, Vick is looking at a reserve role with his fourth franchise. Not the young starter he once was, he knows this is another man's team.

"I admit that I didn't do it as well as I wanted to, because in my mind the position I was in was supposed to be different," Vick said, via the AP. "But I think you've got to accept it first. I think I've been able to do that and come to grips with it, and my role is clear."

Though he's not pulling the plug on the unique talent he feels he can provide a game plan, and he has reason to believe ithe still has it. He was in many ways the better of the man he stood behind with the Jets, starter Geno Smith.

He did, after all, throw two touchdown passes last season against the Steelers in a winning result.

"I felt like I didn't lose a step, especially with my arm strength and my speed, and I just didn't understand why [I didn't get called]," he said. "But I kept my faith and kept working hard, because I knew that at some point, eventually I would get a shot."

In what precise form that shot will come in with Pittsburgh, only head coach Mike Tomlin knows, and right now, he's keeping his options open.

"His talents are his talents," Tomlin said. "He can throw the football. He can put it anywhere on the field."

Though, since being doused in dollar bills this offseason, quarterback Ben Rothelisberger will be the one putting it anywhere. But with the poor showing No. 2 Landry Jones had starting in the Hall of Fame Game, the Steelers thought a 35-year-old surrounded by game-day protestors and activists would be the better option should the worst case arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment