Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Where does Redskins DC Joe Barry get his energy?

Redskins defensive coordinator Joe Barry has already made his mark on the team during his stint with the club this spring and summer. He's a man bursting with energy, who gets right into players' faces before and after plays and doesn't merely stand on the sidelines and give discreet teaching points here and there.

Now we know why he acts that way: he's a one-man coffee plantation.

"I really can't function before I have a cup of coffee," he said. "My alarm goes off and regardless what time I get up, the first thing I do is walk over the have a cup of coffee."

More like ten cups of coffee, the first coming within sixty seconds of his being conscious, which he says he balances out with around the same amount of water and plenty of sleep.

"You really drink 10 cups of coffee a day?" Barry says his friends ask him after a report by Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post revealed as much. "I'm like, yeah. I'm taking between the time I wake up and noon. That's a long time. They're like, 'That's still insane.'"

There are those who say caffeine is a relatively harmless stimulant; the United States Government is not one of those.

"Too much caffeine can make you restless, anxious, and irritable," according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health. "It may also keep you from sleeping well and cause headaches, abnormal heart rhythms, or other problems. If you stop using caffeine, you could get withdrawal symptoms."

By "other symptoms," they mean high blood pressure, dependence and addiction, an increase in stroke, and dementia.

The American Psychiatric Association also recognizes four distinct disorders relating to anxiety and sleep problems.

Yada, yada, says Joe Barry.

"Caffeine is not bad for you," he said. "It gets a bad rap, but as long as you're drinking water with it. . . But I don't get headaches from it. I probably lie a little bit when I go to the doctor. I probably say, yeah, I have three cups a day. But as long as you hydrate with it, coffee's not that bad for you."

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment